Stag Dining Group Plays Fair (Trade)

Oh boy! Just got myself an iPad and am figuring out the joys of blogging from a non-computer device. Four app downloads in, it looks like I'm finally able to publish a blog post. So forgive my hiatus from blogging, but I've been saving up for a really exciting post.

Saturday I had the pleasure of attending my second Stag Dining Group meal. An "eclectic food society," STG is made up of chefs, artists, musicians, hunters, and entrepreneurs. Long-time friends Jordan Grosser, Ted Fleury, Anil Margsahayam, Emory Al-Imam and Matthew Homyak came together with the intent of creating unique and sometimes clandestine fine dining experiences that celebrate seasonal, ethical and indeed exceptional ingredients. Their latest venture, "Wake Up the World Brunch," was a fitting collaboration with Fair Trade USA, a non profit organization that both certifies and supports food producers in developing countries.

Folks from Fair Trade USA, including President & CEO Paul Rice, were in attendance along with Fair Trade certified food companies such as Alter Eco and Numi Tea. Interspersed with the gourmet four-course brunch were talks and videos from these Fair Trade representatives.

The event started at ten in the morning, and we were mercifully greeted by a delicious roast from Thanksgiving Coffee. They are certified Organic, Fair Trade, and Shade Grown - these folks are taking care of our health by avoiding chemical inputs, providing safe and fair working conditions, and protecting habitats and biodiversity on the farms that provide their beans. Did I say it was delicious also? I have a fairly untrained coffee palate (it's probably been burnt out from too many years of Peet's over-roasted beans), but I was able to perceive depths and notes that are decidedly absent from a lesser cup of coffee.




If I was in a healthier cycle, I probably would have gone for a cup of Numi Tea. I have had the pleasure of visiting the Numi Tea Garden in East Oakland, meeting the founders, seeing their warehouse, and learning about the difference between white, black, green, oolong, and pu ehr tea (they're all from the same camellia sinensis plant), and tisanes (any herbal "tea" that's not actually derived from camellia sinensis). I was happy to see this local and totally superior product on display.




For the lushes in the crowd who aren't ashamed to start drinking before noon, a full bar with liquor provided by FAIR, "the world's first line of FairTrade certified premium spirits." The cocktails on the menu were "Indian Summer," which involved apple cider and seemed a little autumnal for May, and an espresso martini. Drinks involving caffeine and booze are usually trouble, but I admit to having one. The main bartender on duty was stolen from 15 Romolo, the classic North Beach bar.




Indian Summer in hand. It's a good cause, right?




But let's get down to the food. Here's the menu, every dish featuring an exceptional Fair Trade product.



We started off with a "Compressed Fruit Salad." Apparently compressing fruit is some process that involves vacuum-sealing the fruit with simple syrup and vanilla (extract? essence?) and is supposed to heighten the fruity flavors therein. I don't know, I could tell there was something different about the fruit, but to me fresh ripe delicious fruit is one of those rare gifts from the gods on planet earth that requires no alterations. But I suppose I subscribe to the Alice Waters philosophy on the virtue of a "perfect peach." The fruit was served with Straus yogurt (yay local!), honey, and a granola of puffed red rice from Alter Eco. I did really enjoy the crunch of the grains with the fruit salad, and I don't believe I've ever experienced a rice granola before. Lovely.




Then came smoked sturgeon with quinoa blini, asparagus, and caviar creme fraiche. This was one of my favorites of the morning. The blini was flecked with black quinoa and the caviar creme fraiche was dreamy.




Next was slow cooked egg with braised bacon, lentils, and pickled chiles. Rich, luxurious, and just the ballast my stomach needed for the goji berry cocktail that was awaiting me.




Our friend from 15 Romolo was all out of fixins for the "Indian Summer," so he told me he'd whip something up from the remaining ingredients. He delivered this little number comprised of rum and goji berry liquor. A little ice water and a squeeze of lime took the edge off this medicinal combination.




But wait, there's dessert! Coffee pot de creme with spiced chocolate ganache and cocoa nib biscotti. A little heavy for the end of this rich meal, but absolutely delicious. I often find biscotti a little too dry and crispy, but this was a buttery delight.




End of meal.




What a wonderful combination of gastronomic pleasure and ethical foodie heaven. Stag Dining Group strikes again! I highly encourage you to "Like" them on Facebook and stay informed about future dining events.

Comments

  1. Ah, great summary! Now I don't have to write one... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts