Five Tips from the Hungry Actress

Ah, January. I myself am a sucker for self-improvement, having just finished Your Best Year Yet and set my 10 big goals for 2012, I realized I need to get back on the blogging horse! I'm also feeling the January need to get a clean slate from all the cookies and champagne of December.


Florentines: my submission to this year's Annual Competitive Cookie Party. How did I win "Most Improved" two years in a row?? Pshh.

But back to the clean slate. I happen to have an ascetic bent and am on day 5 of a 10-day Master Cleanse (yes, the crazy business with the maple syrup and lemon juice). This is my fourth time embarking on the "MC" and am cruising along pretty well. I like the lightness I feel, the mental clarity, and the break from constantly thinking about and planning my meals. I believe there is a spiritual element to doing this kind of fast, as it brings me a mental calmness with which to contemplate my navel (and draft my resolutions). I also think cleansing of any kind is a good bit of preventive wellness.


Mmm, spicy lemonade. Mine is swamp water green because I judiciously decided to add spirulina. I think this green superfood balances out the high sugar (maple syrup) content of the drink and adds needed protein. Spirulina is also a natural detoxifier, helping the whole process along.

Maybe you are not crazy like me and don't want to go ten days without any food. Well here are five nutritional principles that can jump start your sexy 2012 self. I use these year round to keep up my physical and mental health:

1. GREENS: You, yes you my friend need to get more greens in your diet. Start your day with something green and you'll crave their nutritious goodness all day. It's true. You crave what you eat. Tell your body what to crave, not the other way around. An easy way to do this: green smoothies. Find a couple combinations of fruit and greens that please you, and you're all set. I blogged about one beloved green smoothie here. For a more seasonal combination, try 2 cups water, 1 ripe pear cut into cubes, 1 inch peeled & chopped ginger, 1/2 bunch Italian parsley, and juice from a freshly squeezed lime. Throw this all in the blender and go to town.

2. Fermented food: our bellies need that good beneficial bacteria, and while probiotic supplements are great to get back on track, why not enjoy delicious foods that are packed with probiotics? My three favorite home ferments are yogurt, kombucha, and sauerkraut, all fairly easy and great to incorporate into your every day menus. For more fun ferments, check out Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz. I'm excited to try my hand at homemade tempeh and miso this year. I also have it on good authority that Katz will soon be coming out with a new improved fermentation bible, so watch out!

3. Wheat. Stop eating it. At least for a week or two, see how you feel. Yes, that includes beer.

4. Sugar. Stop eating it.

5. Master a salad: pick your favorite green, add your favorite fruit, add a fat such as avocado, nuts, cheese, or some meaty bits, toss it in olive oil and lemon juice, a little salt & pepper.
A few ideas:
- torn butter lettuce with sliced pears, pistachios or walnuts, and blue cheese
- arugula with grapefruit, cucumber, avocado
- spicy mustard greens (torn) with grated carrots, avocado, and sesame seeds; throw a little soy sauce & toasted sesame oil into your dressing
- chiffonaded kale with Caesar dressing and sliced chicken
Make your salads HUGE so that it's a complete meal. To take delicate greens to work, pack your salad in tupperware in the morning or the night before, pack your dressing separately and dress it right before eating.

One of my resolutions/goals this year is to blog weekly, so check back in for more yummy ideas.

Gotta go drink some more swamp water!


Comments

Popular Posts